Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Crochet Butterfly Applique



I spent several hours searching for a good butterfly applique pattern. None satisfied me. They either had a giant hole in the middle, or it looked more like a flower instead of a butterfly. I finally found a photograph of one that I liked, and came up with this pattern. This butterfly is a little complex than most. But it is also better than most.
Works out to be 1 inch wide using size 10 thread and size 7 crochet hook.

You start with a Ch 5, and the 3rd ch from the hook is like the center of the butterfly, and the wings are worked in a round.
Pattern:
Ch 5, leaving a long tail.
3 Dc in 3rd ch from hook, ch 1, sl st in next ch (We will call this ch the CENTER CH), ch 1, 3 dc in next ch, ch 2, sl st to CENTER CH. [FINISHED BOTTOM WINGS]
ch 7, 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, 1 tr in next 2 ch, 1 dc in last 2 ch, sl st to CENTER CH. [FINISHED ONE TOP WING]
Repeat TOP WING once more. [FINISHED SECOND TOP WING]
Ch 5 for first antenna. Fasten off. Pull tail from beginning through first ch of antenna. Ch 4, fasten off.
Weave in ends, or trim.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for thia quick, easy & realistic looking butterfly. I just finished my first one and it turned out great. When making the anteni, I left tails of a few inches and wove them back through the anteni chains. I then used the tails to tack the anteni in place on the body. Thanks again for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! This is the BEST butterfly pattern I have crocheted. Good design! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is tr a triple? I can't figure out what it is, cause all can find is trtr?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deena, it is a treble crochet. If you need help with this stitch here is a link: http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/116.html

      Delete
  4. Hi gorgeous pattern thanks for sharing, is this written in USA or UK term?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love this -- I've been making different butterflies all day, try to get one I liked for my free-form project and this is perfect! Instead of antenna, I wrapped the yarn around the middle a few times to make a cute body! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...