Monday, August 29, 2011

Newborn Diaper Cover Pattern - Single Button

I have been searching high an low for a nice photographer-quality diaper cover to use to make nice coordinating sets. I could not find any free ones, so I obtained a newborn sized diaper, and made this one up.







Materials:
Worsted Weight Yarn
Size H crochet hook
1/2-5/8" button
yarn needle

Pattern notes:
This pattern is worked in rows from the front to the back. Button holes are written into the pattern, as is the edging. It is all worked with one piece of yarn!
When I say "dc in same ch", I mean the chain you normally skip because the starting chain counts as a stitch. You know, the one you skip in order to not accidently increase the number of stitches in the row.

Gauge:
7 dc sts + 4 rows = 2" square

Pattern:
Chain 15
Row 1: Dc in 3rd ch from hk. Dc across. Turn. (13 dc)
Rows 2-9: Ch 3, Dc in each ch across. Turn. (13 dc)
Rows 10-13: Ch 3, 2 Dc in same ch, dc across, 3 dc in last ch. Turn.  (Row 12:25 sts)
Row 14-18: Ch 3, 1 Dc in same ch, dc across, 2 dc in last ch. Turn. (Row 18: 39 sts)
Row 19: Ch 7, sl st in 5th ch from hook to form loop, dc in same ch, dc across, 2 dc in last, ch 5, sl st with first ch of ch-5 to form loop. Turn.
Row 20: Ch 3, 1 dc in same ch, dc across, 7 dc in ch-5 loop.
At this point, you will sc around the entire diaper cover, starting where the last DC touches the side of the diaper cover.
After you have made it to the other ch-5 loop on the other side, 7 dc into the loop and fasten off.
Attach a button to the center of the front, I put it at the bottom of the first row of dc.
ENJOY!!!

24 comments:

  1. That looks almost like the one I made up also....I couldn't find any patterns so I made my own by using a newborn diaper also...:) I made them with matching hats. Nice of you to share your patterns. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this pattern! One question - should row 18 be 29 stitches (not 39?) Mine looks right with 29, but I don't know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Row 13 should be at 29, but once you repeat that row to the 18th row, it should be at 39 because you're increasing by two each row.

      Delete
  3. @Carol,

    The row counts are correct... Because for rows 10-13 you're adding 4 dc to each row, and then rows 14-18 you're adding 2 dc to each row. If you do the math, you get that there should be a total of 39 stitches.
    In the PDF I have a chart that lists the stitch count of each row, plus an additional photo of the diaper cover laying flat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I wanted to know if you have the finished width for the waistband and the height when the diaper cover is folded.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must crochet fairly tight, I had to go down to a G hook (4.00mm) to get the proper gauge. But it's coming out very cute! I'm making this with a matching hat for a coworker, thanks for the pattern. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the pattern! I just made one. It seems a little small, but I suppose newborns are small. You were so kind to share your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was about the easiest pattern I have found online for any crochet pattern/project! Thank you so much for posting this pattern at no charge! Looking forward to giving it to my niece for her new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your patterns. They are great and I love your ideas. I pinned your blog so others can be gratful too! And hopefully they will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used your pattern to finish a new project I was asked to do. Since I used three strands of yarn, I had to shorten the pattern some (it fit a 2 year old when I first worked it up----yikes!), but I would not have known how to accomplish it if not for your wonderful and well-written instructions. Thank you!

    Here is the picture of the finished diaper cover:
    http://institchgratificationknitchet.blogspot.com/2012/04/going-bananas.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you much for sharing. Just ordered all your patterens. Looking forward to gettingt them. If I knew how to make up patterens I would share them with everyone. Thany so much!
    ~ Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this! The only trouble I'm having is my row 12 has only 23 stitches, instead of 25, and I cannot figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you may be missing a double crochet at each end? You should be adding 4 DC to each row in 10-13: being 3 dc at the beginning and end of the row.

      Delete
  12. Thanks a bunch for the diaper cover pattern. I had made a couple of tops for my granddaughter who will be arriving next month. My daughter absolutely "loves" that there is a diaper cover to go with. However, to match the tops, I used a single crochet and just did a row in between each increase row to match the tops. I will be following you from now on. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a question, i made pattern exactly as instructed with button on front to connect both side, my question is what connects the piece that covers the diaper? It seems to just sit there but i'm sure would fall out when on baby....??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the button should be attached to the top front of the diaper cover, and the back straps should wrap around the baby to the button in the front.

      Delete
  14. any tips on fitting this to an average sized 5 month old? 17lbs. we are doing a photoshoot with a photographer friend and dressing baby up as a snowman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've followed this exact and it's turned out tiny! Wouldn't even fit a doll :0 all count if stitches are correct.. would it make a difference if I used thicker wool. I used the 5 mm hook. I don't understand

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you allow people to sale their finished products made by your patterns? Your pattern is the simpliest I have found. Thank you so much for a great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my patterns are free for commercial use as long as I am credited as the designer.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for all the free patterns!! for some reason try as i might i cannot create my own patterns - but i can modify to suit my needs, if i sell i will crdit you!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the pattern and all your hard work! I really appreciate it!
      Thanks again,
      Robin

      Delete

Link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...